"For much of the 20th century, Mukilteo's ferry terminal was regularly served by Nisqually, a ferry that could hold 80 cars. Nisqually was built in 1927, and was named after the Pacific Northwest Native American nation of the same name. While she fell out of regular use in 1967, Nisqually was in service in some capacity all the way until 2007, 80 impressive years. While the Nisqually ferry was obviously outdated and sorely lacking in capacity (today's largest Washington State Ferries can carry over 200 cars), it was clearly an influence on later ferries in the area. Newer ferries borrowed from Nisqually's design, and often took names from local Native American nations."
Actually, the NISQUALLY didn't really serve this run until the mid 1970s when she began making off-season guest appearances. She was mostly an Edmonds and San Juan ferry most of her career here after San Francisco Bay. She became a primary ferry for a couple of years on the Mukilteo run working alongside the ILLAHEE in 1980. They were assisted by the OLYMPIC in 1980 and KULSHAN in 1981. New ferries showed up in 1982, concluding three vessel service on this run.
PRINCESS MARGUERITE, OLYMPICS, PUGET SOUND, EARLY 1970S